February 26, 2013
Below is an update on construction activity related to the Lower Sproul Redevelopment program. Please note that construction activity can change based on weather and unforeseen conditions and that all dates are subject to change.
Walking on Bancroft: path near garage open until March 4
* The footpath from Bancroft Way to Lower Sproul plaza, located on the west side of Eshleman Hall, will remain open to pedestrians until March 4; the date has been extended to allow for event parking during the weekend.
On March 4 there will be no access from Bancroft directly to Lower Sproul plaza, except for the stairway near Telegraph Ave.
For pedestrian paths in place through May 2013, please see
Passenger drop off and business deliveries
* There is a passenger drop zone (white curb) on Bancroft Way at Dana Street. Until March 4, passengers can travel from this drop zone to Lower Sproul plaza via the footpath on the west side of Eshleman Hall. After March 4, access will be via Spieker Plaza.
* All of the above changes are expected to remain in place for the duration of construction, which is expected through Fall 2015.
Shoring starts in March
* Shoring work is scheduled to begin inside the MLK Garage on March 4.
* Preparation for shoring along Bancroft Way is scheduled to begin March 13.
* Shoring work along Bancroft Way is scheduled to begin March 18. This work, which begins work on the foundations of the new space at the MLK Jr. Student Union as well as Eshleman, will be noisy. It is not expected to impact traffic as all work will take place inside the site fence.
* The floors have been cleaned and waxed.
* Cabinets and shelving installation is complete.
* Bathroom mirrors, fixtures and accessories are installed.
* Final interior painting is taking place this week.
* Final cleaning of the building interior is scheduled this week, including windows.
* Installation of exterior site lighting continues.
* Work on the chimney exterior continues.
* Site fencing for the Anthony Hall work is scheduled to be removed March 1.
* Landscaping work will follow the structural and other building improvements. This exterior work is scheduled to take place March-April 2013, weather permitting. New site fencing is scheduled to be installed starting March 1.
* Construction in the restrooms continues with waterproofing, grouting and tile installation. Restroom work is scheduled to continue through mid-March 2013.
* Installation of a ramp at the north entrance to the Art Studio (to replace the existing stair) has been delayed due to unforeseen conditions in the area. A schedule of work will be shared in advance once it is confirmed. The north entrance to the Art Studio is open.
* Hazardous materials removal continues. This removal work will be done under strict controls and supervision, following all applicable regulations. Constant air monitoring will be done in and outside the facility, with daily reports of air monitoring results provided to the contractor overseeing site safety as well as to campus staff on the project team.
Air monitoring will continue for the duration of the hazardous materials removal activity as well as throughout demolition of the existing building. Monitoring stations have already been established at the periphery of the job site as well as in nearby locations. Anyone with questions or concerns about air quality should contact Christine Shaff, UC Berkeley Facilities Services, at 510 643-4793 or David Scrimger, UC Berkeley Environment, Health & Safety, at 510 642-0359.
Hazardous materials removal is scheduled to be complete in March, 2013.
* As hazardous materials removal is completed, windows are being removed in preparation for demolition. Like other building materials, the glass will be recycled.
* Interior demolition is also underway.
* Demolition of the exterior of Eshleman is scheduled to begin in late May, following the end of the academic year.
MLK Jr Student Union
* The bookstore, has moved out of the MLK Jr. Student Union to its new temporary location at 2470 Bancroft Way. For more detail about the move please visit
* The MLK Jr. Student Union is no longer open to the public. Fencing around the building is scheduled to go up starting in May.
Lower Sproul Plaza and MLK Garage
* Access to Lower Sproul Plaza from the stairways near Bancroft at Telegraph (to the lower level of the bookstore); from upper Sproul Plaza; and from Alumni House will be maintained for the next semester. Access via the breezeway at Cesar Chavez will also be maintained. For a map of pedestrian pathways in the area please see http://www.cp.berkeley.edu/CP/Projects/LowerSproul/Details.html
* Future changes to those access points and to the plaza are planned and will be shared in advance.
* The MLK Garage is scheduled to close March 4, 2013; fencing will be installed across the driveway and the adjacent sidewalk and footpath will also close (see above for more detail). The garage is scheduled to be closed for the duration of construction. After March 4 there will be no access to the garage except for construction personnel.
* Foundation shoring work is scheduled to begin in the garage on March 4.
Spieker Plaza/Alumni House/Zellerbach Playhouse
Installation of an underground duct back for telecommunications fiber is scheduled to begin March 18 in Spieker Plaza near Alumni House. The work will involve trenching and excavation and is scheduled to continue through May 2013. Pedestrian access in the area will be maintained at all times. There will be no parking on the path between Alumni House and Zellerbach Playhouse/Hall in the area for any vehicles starting March 18.
Please share this information as appropriate.
These weekly construction updates will also be posted on the web at lowersproul.berkeley.edu andwww.facilities.berkeley.edu/CP/Projects/LowerSproul/Details.html
Questions or concerns about Lower Sproul Redevelopment construction should be directed to Christine Shaff, UC Berkeley Capital Projects, at 510 643-4793 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about the Lower Sproul Redevelopment program should go to email@example.com